Alpine has signed rookie Formula 2 championship contender Paul Aron as its reserve driver for the 2025 season.
Aron moved to F2 full-time this season with Hitech – run by Alpine team boss Oliver Oakes – and impressed with four pole positions and seven podiums. Although he has yet to convert pole into victory, Aron is currently fourth in the championship and 36.5 points behind leader Gabriel Bortoleto, who he will start from pole on Sunday in Qatar.
The Estonian was not part of a young driver program this year after being dropped by Mercedes at the end of last season, but will now become Alpine’s reserve driver when current reserve Jack Doohan gets a racing seat in 2025.
“We are very pleased that Paul is joining the BWT Alpine Formula One Team as our reserve driver for 2025,” said Executive Advisor Flavio Braitore. “There is a generational change in Formula 1 at the moment, as we are seeing with many young drivers entering the sport and making an impact. We believe Paul is one of the best talents and we look forward to developing him into an F1 driver.”
Aron led the F2 standings for the first part of this season and says he is keen to finish the year strongly before taking on the Alpine role.
“It is incredibly special to be part of the BWT Alpine Formula One Team,” said Aron. “It is clear that this is a great place for any young driver and I am very happy that Flavio and Oliver have given me this opportunity.
“For 2025 and the hard work that comes with being the team’s reserve driver, I have a championship to focus on for the rest of this year and I will give everything to fight for the title. I’m looking forward to really starting the work and continuing my career path in motorsport.”
Alpine also announced earlier this week that it has retained Mick Schumacher as part of the World Endurance Championship, with the German simultaneously leaving his reserve role with Mercedes in F1.